Sunday, January 15, 2012

Apple Slices

I was reminiscing about my grandmother and thought about the wonderful apple slices she used to make - she'd always bring over half the pan just for me because she knew I loved them so much. It's a dessert I now cherish because it always makes me think of her and I only find it appropriate to share it with everyone in her memory. :)

Pastry
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
3/4 cup milk
2 egg yolks, beaten

Filling
1/4 cup crushed cereal flakes
10 cups sliced apples
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbs all-purpose flour
egg white, beaten

Glaze
milk
confectioner's sugar

Combine flour and salt. Cut in butter or margarine as for pie crust. In a separate bowl, combine milk and egg yolks; add to flour, blending lightly with a fork.

Form a ball and divide into two parts. Wrap each in waxed paper and refridgerate for several hours.

Fit one piece of dough into bottom of jelly roll pan (or a half-sheet cake will do), shaping slightly up sides of pan. Sprinkle bottom of dough with crushed cereal flakes. Arrange apple slices over crumbs. Sprinkle with mixture of sugar, flour and cinnamon. Roll remaining dough to fit over top of filling. Brush with beaten egg white.

Bake at 425F for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake an additional 30 minutes.

While cooling, cover with glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment